top of page
  • How much rent should I charge?
    You can charge what you want for rent but this must be agreed with your lodger before they move in. We always recommend that you include all bills into the amount of rent that you will be charging. Rent can be charged weekly or monthly but always in advance, if weekly then you must provide a rent book.
  • Should I take a deposit?
    We always recommend that you should take a deposit, this can be anything from two weeks to a months rent which would be taken in advance of your lodger moving in. If you are a resident landlord there is currently no requirement for you to protect a deposit, as there will not be an assured shorthold tenancy.
  • Do I need an inventory?
    We would always strongly advise having an inventory, itemising all furniture noting the condition of the room. We would also recommend you take photos and add them to the inventory. It is a good idea to have the room in a clean and tidy state at the start then you can expect it to be clean and tidy when the lodger vacates.
  • Do I need a Gas Safety Certificate?
    Annual gas safety checks are required on any gas boilers or appliances and you should give a copy of the report to your lodger. You should also have a carbon monoxide detector in every room that has a gas appliance if you rent a room in your home.
  • What are the fire safety regulations?
    You must provide a smoke alarm on each storey and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a solid fuel burning appliance. You must also make sure your lodger has access to escape and knows the route if there was a fire. You must make sure that the furniture and furnishings are all fire safe and provide fire alarms and an extinguisher if the property is large.
  • Do I need an electrical check?
    The electrical system and appliances should be safe, so although there are no requirements for an annual electrical safety check, you should have the system checked around every 5 to 10 years. Appliances that the lodger may use, should also be checked regularly.
  • What are the rules on Council Tax?
    You will be responsible for Council Tax and can include part of the cost in the rent that you charge. You must tell your council if having a lodger means you are no longer entitled to a single person discount - this includes Monday to Friday rentals. For more information contact your local Borough Council.
  • Do I need to pay tax if I rent a room?
    Under the rent a room scheme you can now make up to £7,500 a year without paying tax by renting out a furnished room in your home. If your rental income goes over that amount, you’ll have to fill in a tax return. There’s a fine line between taking in occasional B&B guests and running a business, so speak to an accountant if you’re unclear about the tax rules and are regularly taking in paying guests.
  • Do I need a Lodger Agreement?
    We always recommend you put something in writing as it will protect both you and your lodger and give you a basis for reference should any disagreement arise. A Lodger Agreement is used when a landlord wants to rent a room in a furnished property and where the landlord lives and shares common parts of the property with the lodger.
bottom of page